Though there are many home repair tasks that can be beyond the skill and the knowledge of the average homeowner, there are also numerous small tasks that are well within that range as well. Whether it’s heating, cooling or plumbing, these tasks can be easily managed and ensure that your home continues running smoothly, even preventing larger repair problems down the road.
- Poor airflow: Have you changed your air filter? This is one of the most common furnace problems and is the easiest to fix. Make sure your new filter will work with your furnace, as one that restricts airflow too much can cause wear and tear on your system.
- Doesn’t start: Start by checking that the thermostat is set to heat instead of cool, then turn it up above the ambient temperature. If it still doesn’t kick in, check if the breaker has been flipped and reset it.
- Not cooling: Is there ice building up on the system outside? Turn the power off, then try removing anything blocking airflow around the unit including brush and debris, clean the condenser coils, then leave it off until the ice melts to prevent mechanical damage.
- Basic maintenance: Get your manual out and find out where the oil ports are for your system, then top them off to make sure it will continue to run without wear and damage.
- Slow faucet flow: Often caused by sediment building up in the aerator, this is a very easy fix. Use an adjustable wrench or a pair of pliers to loosen up the tip of your faucet, then tap it gently upside down to dislodge the sediment. Remember to use a little tape on the wrench or pliers to prevent it from scratching the fixture.
- Stopped up drain: If a plunger isn’t getting the job done, it’s time to check the garbage disposal and dig out a drain snake. The garbage disposal is one of the most common sources of clogs and drain snakes will get most other clogs broken up and debris removed from the drain.
By learning how to take care of these minor problems, you can protect the investment you have in your home and keep them from becoming major repairs down the road. If you feel that these problems are beyond your comfort zone, please feel free to contact our expert technicians.