When you’re a homeowner, you have a lot of responsibility. When things go wrong, it’s important to have the tools and supplies on hand to be able to take care of the problem quickly and effectively. Plumbing emergencies can cause serious damage to your home in a relatively short amount of time. Here are a few tools you need to have in your home toolkit for dealing with Pittsburgh plumbing emergencies.
8 Must-Have Plumbing Tools for Your Home Kit
- Pipe wrench. This vital piece of equipment comes in handy when the drain clogs or something falls down into it. A simple twist to remove the P-trap and you can get back to business as usual.
- Adjustable wrench. Whether it’s removing broken supply lines or installing the new kitchen faucet, an adjustable wrench gives you the exact size you need without having to go back and forth from under the sink.
- Closet plunger. Though many homeowners think a plunger is a plunger, there’s actually two different types. This one had a flange on the bottom to better fit the outflow of your toilet, allowing you to force water and pressure down the drain to clear up a clog.
- Drain plunger. Like the above closet plunger, this pushes water and pressure down the drain but has a relatively flat profile on the bottom to better fit around a sink, shower or tub drain.
- Hacksaw. When a section of pipe needs to be replaced or an ancient faucet won’t come loose, a hacksaw makes quick work of it. Make sure you have the right blades for your piping material.
- Metal file or sandpaper. Joining pipes with solvent or solder? Keep these on hand to clean the ends of the pipe to prevent problems with adhesion.
- Shallow pan or bucket. Before you loosen up the drain, make sure you have one of these to capture any water in the drain lines or trap. The shallow profile means it will fit in almost any space.
- Hand auger. Also referred to as a snake, this works when a plunger won’t by pulling apart the clog until it can be flushed down the drain.
If your plumbing emergency needs an expert touch, don’t be afraid to reach out to the professionals. When they need a plumber Pittsburgh area homeowners contact Stahl Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning. Contact us today and find out the quality and service provided from 75 years of combined experience.